“LOST. One pair of swans, stolen from Bedford Springs. Mass.; reward offered for information that will lead to discovery.”
The Hayden family were the proprietors of the Bedford Springs resort area, including the Sweetwater Hotel and the New York Pharmaceutical Company, located near Fawn Lake. Above you can see the Hayden family home, “Lakeside,” with 2 white swans (circled in red) swimming near the shore of Fawn Lake. Perhaps these are the missing swans or their relatives! The ad may have been submitted by Mrs. William R. Hayden, who also printed an ad in the same newspaper for a lost diamond and sapphire pin in 1918. This undated photograph is from Leona Proctor Cail’s scrapbook at the Bedford Historical Society.
Kathleen Fahey, Executive Director
Thanks to member Brian Oulighan for locating this newspaper article. Brian grew up in Bedford and now lives in Hudson, NH. Brian combs through old newspapers online for items related to Bedford history and sends them along to the Bedford Historical Society for our archives.
Members of the Bedford Minutemen march in the Concord Patriots’ Day Parade on April 18, 1994.
The Bedford flag is the oldest existing flag in North America and dates from the early 1700s. The flag was present during the battle at the Old North Bridge in 1775 and a replica is proudly flown at Patriots’ Day parade each year. Other historic flags were also used during the time of the American Revolution and the following years. Included in this photo are the Gadsden flag with the words “Don’t Tread On Me” from 1775 and the Betsy Ross flag from 1792 held by our very own town historian, Sharon McDonald. The Bedford Historical Society offers a variety of Bedford flag merchandise; to purchase, click here.
By Catherine Miller, Bedford Historical Society Spring 2019 archives intern and Simmons University MLIS student.
A company of the Women’s Army Corps (WAC) marching at Hanscom in their khaki summer uniforms c.1943; from the archives of the Bedford Historical Society.
The Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) was established in 1942 to help with staffing shortages during WWII. The Women’s Army Corp (WAC) was established over a year later in 1943 and the name change reflected the Corps new status as part of the Army, rather than an as an auxiliary. Massachusetts Congresswoman Edith Nourse Rogers was instrumental in the effort to establish the WAAC/WAC and the Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital, located in Bedford, is named in her honor.
For more information about the Women’s Army Corps check out the National Museum of the United States Army website by clicking here.