The Bedford Historical Society recently received a collection of postcards that captures Bedford’s beautiful history from long-time supporter Lee Yates. The collection features images from Bedford from about 1900 to about 1970 and includes a handful of snowy scenes.
The Bedford House Hotel is shown above dressed in snow on a postcard from 1927. This building was located where the Bedford fire station now stands.
This postcard below features the Llewsac Lodge Main House and Higgins House located in Bedford. These buildings were part of a sprawling establishment that served in the early to mid-20th century as a “home for needy older women . . . [and] a vacation spot for younger working women.” To learn more about Llewsac Lodge, check out page 4 of the Bedford Historical Society October 2009 newsletter by clicking on the link below.
Finally, This snow-covered landscape shot of Bedford is from a postcard printed by The Bedford Print Shop c1913.
By Ashley Barrington, Fall 2018 Archives Intern.
Ashley joined the Bedford Historical Society this past fall as an archives intern and processed the Yates postcard collection. Ashley is a student at Simmons University and is working towards earning a Masters of Library and Information Science.