A company of the Women’s Army Corps (WAC) marching at Hanscom in their khaki summer uniforms c.1943; from the archives of the Bedford Historical Society.
The Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) was established in 1942 to help with staffing shortages during WWII. The Women’s Army Corp (WAC) was established over a year later in 1943 and the name change reflected the Corps new status as part of the Army, rather than an as an auxiliary. Massachusetts Congresswoman Edith Nourse Rogers was instrumental in the effort to establish the WAAC/WAC and the Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital, located in Bedford, is named in her honor.
For more information about the Women’s Army Corps check out the National Museum of the United States Army website by clicking here.
Kathleen Fahey, Executive Director